TAMSS SCHOLARSHIP POLICY
Purpose: To encourage and provide opportunities for TAMSS members to achieve and maintain certification and attend educational meetings when financial support is needed.
Types of Scholarships:
- A recipient’s expenses for the state (TAMSS) conference - up to a total of $850.00
- A recipient’s expenses for the national (NAMSS) conference - up to $1500.00
- Educational scholarship to be applied to obtaining certification, an associate degree, bachelor degree, or master’s degree or for use toward completion of the Independent Study Program through NAMSS – up to $500.00
Qualifications: Recipients must
- Be an active member of TAMSS
- Have been a TAMSS member in good standing for at least one year
- Participate and support the goals and objectives of TAMSS
- Show a commitment toward education and professional growth as a medical staff services professional
- Not receive monetary support from their employer (for scholarships to conferences)
- Not have been awarded a TAMSS scholarship within the past two years
- Have not declined a TAMSS scholarship when awarded within the past two years except when declining is due to accreditation survey.
- Complete the application for Scholarship
- Complete an essay of at least 250 – 500 words for Conference Scholarship detailing reasons for wanting to achieve certification, why they chose the profession, why they are deserving of the award, or other topic as approved by the TAMSS Board.
- Provide a letter of reference from immediate supervisor attesting that the applicant meets the criteria (specifically Section 4), and that the applicant is a good candidate for certification.
- Applications and essays for the Educational Scholarship must be submitted to the TAMSS secretary by the date specified by the TAMSS Board for the given year.
- The TAMSS Board will meet and review the applications and essays and choose the recipients.
- The Educational scholarship will be valid for twelve months from the date of issuance.
- The recipient shall be notified by a member of the Board.
- Due to the nature of the educational award, the identity of the recipient shall be maintained as confidential by the TAMSS Board and only published upon authorization by the recipient, or upon successful achievement of certification.
- Recipients of the Educational Scholarship to be used for certification will not be eligible to reapply for the Educational scholarship for the same certification at a future date.
For Certification Exam fee: The applicant must provide validation of acceptance to sit for the examination and TAMSS will provide direct payment to NAMSS.
For TAMSS Conference: The TAMSS Board will provide direct payment for conference fee and hotel expense for three days on behalf of the recipient.
For NAMSS Conferences: The recipient must present receipts for reimbursement for expenses related to the NAMSS conference. This is limited to conference registration, air fare, hotel expense, and travel to and from an airport, up to a total of $1500.00. If receipts total less than $1500.00, the remaining amount will be carried over for use in the next year cycle.
Click to access the TAMSS SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION